Congratulations, you said YES to the person of your dreams! Now you’re officially engaged, and it’s time to start planning your big day. For most, that journey begins with finding the perfect venue to host your nuptials.
While the obvious things like cost and catering options come to mind, here are eight maybe not so obvious things you need to consider when searching for your dream wedding venue…
2. First Impression: When searching for your dream venue, you want to make sure that there is something about the venue that catches your eye and provides that “wow” factor. Whether it be stunning waterfront views, fantastic landscaping, or the overall cleanliness of the entire venue that catches your eye, whatever it may be, make sure that your venue makes a visual impact because your guest will take note.
3. Venue staff: Be sure to ask if there will be staff on-site the duration of your event. While this may seem like a no brainer, not all venues subscribe to the same common-sense rules. At the Ospreys, we provide an Event Director that will remain on-site to ensure that your event’s flow runs smoothly and help check in your other wedding day professionals, and even set out your décor. If the venue you select does not provide someone to assist with these things, make a note, and consider hiring a personal day of coordinator or event planner to be in charge of the various wedding day responsibilities, so you don’t have to be!
4. Rain plan: If you are searching for a venue with an outdoor ceremony/reception space, it is critical that they also have a contingency plan for inclement weather. Make sure that the indoor space can also support your desired guest count. Again, you do not want to get stuck in a situation where your guest count exceeds the venue’s alternate accommodations. This leads us to our next point….
5. Multiple photo op locations: As you search for your dream wedding venue, be sure to take note of all possible photo locations. If you don’t know what you’re looking for, don’t worry; your professional photographer will help scout out beautiful & creative photo destinations around the venue on the wedding day. That said, do your research ahead of time and look at the venue’s website for a variety of photos. Again, should it rain, you want to ensure that you can still get stunning photos indoors as well as around the property.
6. Suites: Ask about private suites for both you and your significant other to use before the ceremony. Again, while this may seem like a no brainer, not every venue has a designated location for both wedding parties. You’ll also want to ask if these suites are included in your venue rental fee (again, not always the case), if they have bathrooms, are they spacious, private, and most importantly, are they on the property. These are additional questions you’ll want to keep in mind as you search for your dream venue.
7. Alcohol Policy: Let’s be honest, while your guests love you and have traveled from all over to help celebrate your love, many are looking forward to the open bar that goes along with most weddings. Why does this affect your venue search? Because you’ll want to know whether or not your venue will lock you into an alcohol plan or if you can BYOB. If it’s the later of the two, as is the case at The Osprey’s, this is going to save you A TON of money! Make sure you also inquire about how your alcohol will be managed at the end of the event.
8. Additional amenities: As you round out your search for the perfect venue to host your special day, inquire about additional amenities. These could include everything from easels, signage, and fire pits. At the Osprey’s, we are happy to offer a wide selection of extra amenities ranging from champagne walls to complete decor packages for our couples! Keep in mind, some amenities are free, and some might come with a rental fee. Be sure to ask about potential cost when asking about amenities and if you like what they have to offer, take full advantage. Making use of the venue amenities can help you save on your overall wedding day budget.
To help you determine the perfect wedding venue for your big day, here is a copy of The Osprey’s Ultimate Venue Checklist!